How to Find a Reliable Ocean County Home Builder
Choosing the right Ocean County home builder is one of the most important steps you will take, whether you are looking to rebuild your existing home or build the home of your dreams. You are about to enter into a relationship with a builder for a decent period of time, so it’s best to take the proper time to make the best possible decision.
Why You Should Hire an Ocean County Home Builder
Let us make the assumption that you don’t have the time, expertise, or interest in general contracting your own home building project. The following is just a sample of the roles that a builder will take on during your home remodeling or building process:
- Liaise with inspectors, permit offices, municipalities, subcontractors, engineers, architects, environmental surveyors, etc.
- Obtain a proper Certificate of Occupancy (CO)
- Coordinate ordering, delivery, and installation of materials, appliances, and other necessities
- Review all work and installations for quality assurance
- Manage change orders, where necessary (which they usually are)
- Review the home at multiple stages, especially for major payments, during the process to ensure acceptable progress and quality
- Review the house prior to completion and coordinate any changes that need to be made
A good custom builder will guide you through the entire process. Remember, a builder or remodeling contractor goes through this every month. You might do it once or twice in your life. We recommend you trust this work to an expert.
How to Find the Right Ocean County Home Builder
The first step is usually to ask your trusted friends and family. Ask around at your local coffee shop, church, school, or other social organization. Often, a recommendation from a trusted friend or a valued acquaintance is a great place to start.
Second, research Ocean County contractors online. Nearly every good Ocean County home builder will have a modern and informative web presence, showcasing their previous work, testimonials, references, and other educational material.
Next, obtain at least 3 building or remodeling quotes from different builders or remodeling contractors. The key is to make sure that you have a frame of reference, which is difficult to obtain with just one quote.
Fourth, interview 2-3 Ocean County home builders and take the time to get the information you want and need to reach your level of comfort.
- Ask them about their experience, their processes.
- Ask them for their license number, their insurance certificates.
- Ask them about their payment schedules.
- Check the Better Business Bureau.
- Get out and look at their ongoing or previous work to see if you like it.
- Get a sense of whether you feel comfortable with these builders and can potentially trust them with your home.
Ocean County Home Builders – Sealing the Deal
After you have made your decision and feel comfortable with the builder that you have chosen, make sure you get a written and signed contract, which will outline the scope of work, the project schedule, and payment schedule. The contract will also outline which tasks you as the homeowner are responsible for, and which tasks the builder is responsible for. A written contract is important so that all expectations are managed and there are limited communication during the course of the project.
There are several Ocean County custom builders on our contractor directory. Be sure to review several of them and then contact them to have your initial conversation.
If you are a New Jersey Homeowner and would like to connect with a reliable, local custom home builder within our network, please complete our contractor search form and we will contact you within 24 hours.