How to Find the Perfect Monmouth County Custom Home Builder
Choosing the right Monmouth County custom home builder is one of the most important steps you will take, whether you are looking to rebuild your existing home or build your dream home. You are about to enter into a relationship with a builder for several months, so you want to take the time to make the right decision for your home and your family.
Why Hire a Monmouth County Custom Home Builder
Let’s assume that you don’t have the time, expertise, or interest in general contracting your own project (wise choice!). These are just a sample of the roles that a builder will take on during your home remodeling or building process:
- Act as a liaison with inspectors, permit issuing offices, subcontractors, engineers, architects, environmental surveyors, and the like.
- Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)
- Coordinate all ordering, delivery, and installation of materials and building products
- Review all work and installations for quality control
- Manage change orders
- Review the home at multiple stages, especially at payment points, during the process to ensure adequate progress and quality
- Review the home prior to completion and coordinate any changes that need to be made
A good custom builder will hold your hand through the entire process. Remember, a builder or remodeler goes through this process dozens of times every year. You might do it once or twice in a lifetime. It’s better to trust this work to an expert.
How to Find the Right Monmouth County Custom Home Builder
First, ask your trusted friends and family. Ask around at your local chamber of commerce, church, school, or other social organization. Often, a recommendation from a trusted friend is worth its weight in gold.
Second, research Monmouth County contractors online. Nearly every good Monmouth County custom home builder will have a modern and informative web presence, showcasing their previous work, testimonials, references, and other educational material.
Third, get at least 3 different quotes from different builders or remodelers. You want to make sure that you have a frame of reference, which is difficult to obtain with just one quote.
Fourth, interview several Monmouth County custom home builders and take the time to get the information you want and need from them.
- Ask them about their experience, their processes.
- Ask them for their license number, their insurance certificates.
- Ask them about their payment schedules.
- Check the Better Business Bureau.
- Take a ride and actually look at their ongoing or previous work to see if you like it.
- Also get a sense of whether you feel comfortable with these builders.
Monmouth County Custom Home Builder – Sealing the Deal
Once you have made your decision and feel comfortable with the builder that you have chosen, make sure you get a written and signed contract, which will outline in detail the scope of work, the project schedule, and the payment schedule. It will also outline which tasks you as the homeowner are responsible for, and which tasks the builder is responsible for. A written contract is important so that everyone’s expectations are managed and there are limited mis-communications during the course of the project.
There are several Monmouth County custom home builders on our contractor directory. Be sure to review several of them and then contact them to have your initial conversation.
If you are a New Jersey Homeowner and would like to connect with a reliable, local custom home builder within our network, please complete our contractor search form and we will contact you within 24 hours. NOTE: We will not give your information to anyone without your prior permission.